RE: how do I target a specific machine - not ip address?

>> First you can change ssh port to listen different than
>> 22, no mater which, I am hoping you know do this.

You don't really need to do that, however I would do that if I'd be
using SSH password authentication. So, when you set up SSH public-key
authenticatation you'll be quite safe: not many people will be able to
guess what your keys look like..

After that, you can setup an SSH-tunnel so that you can use NFS over the
tunnel. There are docs about SSH-tunneling all over the internet.

Or, you can setup a VPN solution.

Grts,
Rob