Traffic auditing per user

I'm looking for a solution to audit network traffic usage per user.
After a long enough search I was not able to find a solution that suited
my needs.

It must fit the following requirements:
* The traffic must be logged on a uid basis.
* Some traffic should not be counted, which is protocol (i.e. non-IP)
and IP address based (i.e. no local network).
* Of course not have a dramatic effect on performance

Hopefully its not to hard for me, thus the tool has some (decent)
instructions/documentation.
Further I want to keep using my stock application. The platform is
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, and I prefer to have the packages from the
repositories, rather than my own complications. Mostly for reasons of
testing and maintenance.

I would guess this is not directly a netfilter question, but it should
be close enough.

- Joris