Re: Passive FTP sees remote's _internal_ IP!!??

Hello,

Maxime Ducharme a écrit :
This happens when the remote server has a bad
NAT configuration for FTP.

I fully agree, the problem seems to be on the server side.

Maybe SonicWALL is able to "fix" this itself, I dont
know this product very well.

If it does so, I'd be happy to know how.

some suggestions :

1. Fix NAT for FTP on remote firewall

2. Configure remote server to explicitly send
external IP for passive connections (most of FTP
software allows to configure this)

3. Configure your FTP client to use active mode.
If server is running on another port than 21,
you must tell ip_nat_ftp to "listen" for FTP
traffic on this port. Someone on this list can
tell us how ? (I dont remember how)

$ modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp ports=21,alternate_port
$ modprobe ip_nat_ftp ports=21,alternate_port

Both commands are needed because AFAIK, ip_nat_ftp loads automatically ip_conntrack_ftp if not already loaded but does not pass the port list to it. Duh.

3b. Use extended passive mode (EPSV) if the client, the remote server and their firewall/NATs support it, because an EPSV reply does not contains the server address.

[Read on]