Re: How to measure CPU usage of netfilter

On 11/21/06, Mohammad Farooq <mohammadfarooq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have about 1000 rules in the iptables. All these rules just forward
the incoming traffic to other systems. I am trying to measure CPU usage
of the netfilter. I tried to measure with top command but some how it
always shows that CPU is 95% idle. I am not sure if top is the
appropriate command to measure CPU usage of the netfilter. Since all the
filtering is happening inside the kernel there should be some other command to
measure kernel's CPU usage. I would appreciate if someone can point to
the right direction. Thanks.

You can try 'cpusoak'  tool from Andrew Morton zc toolset:
   http://www.zipworld.com.au/~akpm/linux/zc.tar.gz
cpusoak which accurately measures cpu consumption by the kernel.

Yakov