Re: iptables + ROUTE

Hello,

Mato Vidovic a écrit :

I have a need to perform TOS based traffic routing. That means I have two interfaces (say eth0 and eth1) to backbone and I need to route the real-time critical IP traffic over eth1 and the remaining IP traffic over eth0. After a lot of experimenting I came to the conclusion that something like the following would do: # iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m tos --tos 16 -j ROUTE --oif eth1 # iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m tos --tos !16 -j ROUTE --oif eth0

Why not just use the TOS selection feature in advanced routing (involving routing rules and alternate routing tables) ?
Something like :

ip rule add tos 16 lookup tos16 priority 100
ip route add default dev eth1 table tos16

Unfortunately the Linux box says: "No chain/target/match by that name"
The kernel I use is 2.6.18, iptables version is the last debian
stable version 1.2.11.
Any idea what is wrong here (am I missing something in the
configuration, or a library, or am I completely wrong maybe...)?

As Edvin Seferovic wrote, the kernel part of the ROUTE target is not included in the mainstream kernel yet. You can add it to your kernel source tree with the patch-o-matic-ng a build a ROUTE-capable kernel.