Re: Compiling 1.3.6

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> Patrick McHardy wrote:
>
>> Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>>
>>> min_ip and max_ip type has been changed from u_int32_t to __be32 that is
>>> not defined in userspace, this breaks iptables compilation. Attached a
>>> patch that recovers the use of u_int32_t. I'm not sure if this is the
>>> best fix so let me know what you think.
>>

>> I think we should just define the endian-annotation types in userspace.
>> Does this patch fix compilation?
>

> But this breaks previous iptables version with new kernels :(. An
> alternative can be exporting ipt_iprange.h to iptables/include although
> this is also a hack.

We should consider moving away from using the kernel headers directly.
Breaking compilation of old iptables versions is not too bad IMO,
old binaries will still work and someone compiling old iptables with
a new kernel can just as well just compile a new version.

Unfortunately 1.3.6 won't compile with 2.6.19, so we might have to put
out a new version soon.