How to find out packet latency?

Hi all,

I am using linux box as router. Every ip packet which enters the box is
forwarded to some ip address. I have iptables rules which performs this
task. My question is how can I find out the duration ip packet took to
go out of the box. Basically I need time difference when the packet
entered the box and the time it left the box. I want to monitor the
latency. If it crosses some threshold value, I may have to notify. Since
the packets are switched at the kernel level, I am not sure how to get
this information. I would appreciate if someone can point me to the
right direction. Thanks in advance.

MF