Alternatives to --check option

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'll ask any way.

I know that there isn't a -C (--check) option in iptables because of stateful firewalling, but is there any method of testing one's iptables logic?

For example-- I'm blocking a set of addresses (from port 22-25 with IPSET); within that set I am trying to specifically allow traffic from a subset before the block applies.

Is there any way of being able to tell how iptables is handling a package from a particular address short of actually sending something from said address?

Thanks,
--
Rob Carlson, Systems and Network Administrator
Kitchen & Associates Architectural Services, PA