RE: Wol Magic Packets

On Tue, August 29, 2006 13:38, claudio987\@libero\.it wrote:
>>> packet enters only if I send it to a port opened into the router...: for
>>> example: if I forward port 30 tcp\udp to
>>> 192.168.0.2 (pc of my lan) and I send a wol packet for
>>> another internet address out of my lan to poty 30 of external ppp0
>>> interface of my router, pc 192.168.0.2 turns on
>>>

>> Yes, well, you've said that before and as I said: if these *do* enter
>> your network then I don't know how to block them. Perhaps you can search for
>> the String match (it's in an older POM-ng and which I never used) and try to
>> catch those WOL packets by matching it's contents. Since each WOL packet
>> looks the same (6 bytes FF followed by 16 bytes containing the MAC address
>> of the PC to wake up), you should be able to do it.
>>
>> Gr,
>> Rob
>>
> how can I do it?

By downloading a kernel, POM-ng (patch-o-matic-ng) and an older POM-ng that
still has the string patchlet, and iptables. Patch the kernel using the older
POM-ng for the string match and use the newer POM-ng for recent stuff. Install
the new kernel and iptables and see if everything (still) works.

If you've never done this I suggest you search the internet for howto's, read
the README's and/or INSTALL files and try it with a test-PC first.
Howto's on patching a kernel is not really the scope of this list.