conntrack questions

Hi,

I've got some problems with connection tracking. At the inner side of
the linux-netfilter based firewall there are more then 700 workstations.
Before half a year the firewall started to work unstable. By the logs I
realised this is because of "ip_conntrack table is full" :-)
I tried to increase (120000) the ip_conntrack_max value, and seemed to
work, but if the active connections
(cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack |wc -l) reaches the 60-70000, the load
starts to go up, and the server dies. This means I can't connect to
server remotely and can't start a new terminal locally. If I have an
opened terminal, and stop and start the firewall (so drop the conntrack
table), the load goes down, and everything is OK.
The questions:
1, Can I somehow limit every clients to establish (for example) only 30
active connections?
2, If not, can I somehow drop the full conntrack table when it is
fullfilled (automaticly of course)
3, any other ideas to keep working the firewall

thanks
kako
wasn't I off or incomprehensible a little bit?
(english isn't my native language)