RE: Wol Magic Packets

Would you please be so kind to keep this discussion on the list by replying to
it, not to me directly.
Thanks.

On Thu, August 24, 2006 14:23, claudio987\@libero\.it wrote:
>> Yes. Well, I also received an email from Sietske van Zanen who thought
>> more thoroughly than I did, but he hit the wrong butten and it was not sent
>> to the list. This was his answer and I have to agree with him:
>>

>> [quote]
>> I do not see what use it is, to block this on your firewall. WoL is a
>> broadcast, hence it will already never traverse a firewall if it's configured
>> correctly. On the local LAN segment they will never pass a firewall before
>> reaching a LAN station. That's the whole idea of broadcasting.
>>
>> The best thing to do is disable WoL on the workstations.
>>

>> -Sietse
>> [/quote]
>>
>> Gr,
>> Rob
>>
> how can I block wol packets? I must disable broadcasting? In what way? I wont
> to use wol only in my lan. I have a linux box router: 192.168.0.1 and 4 pc on
> lan 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4 192.168.0.5. I must disable it with
> iptables on 192.168.0.1 (router). Thanks

Did you read Sietse's comment?
- WOL is a broadcast and broadcasts typically *do not pass* a router, in this
case your Linux firewall.
- If the WOL packet is coming from your LAN you *cannot* block it using your
Linux firewall, because the packets *do not pass through* it.

Disable the WOL feature on your clients, as Sietse suggested.

Gr,
Rob