Re: Problems configuring iptables

Hmmm... That is definitely part of it, yeah. But there is something else going on here.

So I tried changing the chain policy to ACCEPT and to just block all traffic using an iptables rule. When I implement the rules as follows, things work:

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination ACCEPT tcp -- x.y.z.116 x.y.z.120 tcp dpt:ssh flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN

As you can see, that is just blocking all traffic from anywhere to anywhere on port 22 after allowing traffic from x.y.z.116 to x.y.z.120 through. (x.y.z.116 and x.y.z.120 are both on the same subnet, but 120 is behind the firewall and 116 is not.) x.y.z.116 can SSH in to x.y.z.120, but nothing else can.

If I try to change it so that it isn't just blocking traffic on port 22, but rather all traffic:

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination ACCEPT tcp -- x.y.z.116 x.y.z.120 tcp dpt:ssh flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere

No SSH connections can get through at all, even from host x.y.z.116.

Any ideas what could be causing this odd behavior?

Ross A. Del Duca wrote:
The 'hanging' is likely a result of a DNS lookup failing.  If you add -n to
your iptables command, it will not attempt to resolve DNS names, and may get
you around at least that little part.

Ross A. Del Duca, GCIH