iptables issue after kernel compilation

Dear all,
     I have compile new kernel 2.6.17.8 for my access
vpn server and
everythings are fine. I am able to connet vpnserver
through MS-clients.
but when ever i run iptables for nating and
firewalling , following
errors occurs.

 FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
 iptables v1.3.5: can't initialize iptables table
`filter': iptables
who? (do you  need to insmod?)
 Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

 I have  select all  networking options during kernel
compilation and
also upgrade iptables from iptables-1.2 to
iptables-1.3.0-2 but still
face same problem.

   Any suggestion is appreciated.

 Thanks in advance.