Re: issue with 'gre' over nat

thiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Any known issues about it ? Or did I missed something ? Maybe connectiong tracking timeout is too long ? I don't believe or have knowledge of something at the remote that could generate this kind of situation, as all that the remote host knows about me is my public ip address and the mac address of my gateway's internal interface...

I haven't been using "latest and greatest" kernels recently. More or less 2.6.9 as packaged in RHEL4/CentOS4 with bunch of backported patches. So I don't know if some of these problems were solved in mainstream. I do remember being told on this mailing list that GRE/IPSec related bugs are very hard to fix and would take some time and major kernel overhaul until that part works correctly. For example, they'll never be fixed in RHEL4 since apperently the fix would break the ABI -- that's what I was told on Red Hat's bugzilla. It was some months ago, so take this with a grain of salt, some of the problems might have been fixed in the meantime (in the mainstream kernel).

My experience in mixing GRE (and/or IPSec) with Netfilter isn't that great. There's bunch of problems with it. Some are related to connection tracking, some are that packets don't traverse all the chains they were supposed to traverse. I have a problem kind of opposite from yours, that Netfilter on VPN host would "forget" about connections inside GRE or IPSec (resulting in frozen TCP sessions). It could easily be that your problems have same root as mine.