nfnetlink, ip_conntrack

Hello,

I've been looking at iptables, ebtables, nfnetlink, etc.
It's a daunting task unfortunately due to the nature of rapid course of development that's ongoing. And the fact that I use current kernels. Much of the docs I find are outdated.

Maybe someone can point me to current docs?

Questions:

1. Can nfnetlink be used without ip_conntrack? Is it just a matter of disabling ip_conntrack
   when building the kernel?

2.  Why are there two netfilter directories within the kernel?
   net/netfilter and net/ipv4/netfilter ?

3.  Why no docs in the kernel describing nfnetlink?

4.  What's the current replacement for libipq for the kernel netlink API?

Thanks.