Re: Ipsec, policy match and PROTO=4

Hi Marco

Thanks for your reply.

You wrote:
> You aren't seeing the clear text packet
> because because you should log also the
> FORWARD chain: 'iptables -I FORWARD -j LOG'
>
> > This has been observed in e.g. this thread:
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netfilter-devel&m=114010374229806&w=2
> >
> > However, I don't see any solution. What is your approach to filter
> > cleartext packets?
>
> You must filter packets in the FORWARD
> chain, nor INPUT nor OUTPUT

The packets do not traverse the FORWARD chain. I just added log rule,
i.e. 'iptables -I FORWARD -j LOG'. Even after issueing 'iptables -I
FORWARD -j DROP', the ipsec connection works perfectly (assuming that I
accept PROTO=4 packets).

BTW, I used 2.6.16 this time since I currently cannot restart the system.
In fact, I would be surprised to see either the ESP or the cleartext
packet in FORWARD since both are destined to the local host.

> > Is the issue considered a bug?
>
> Yes, the issue in the above thread is a
> know bug to the netfilter team.

Hm, ok. I wonder how the current state of this issue is and how hard it is
to fix this bug.

Best regards,

Thomas