From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Anssi Hannula
Sent: Mon 24-Jul-06 13:03
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Messages in log with SNAT target

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,

Hi, and thank you very much for your thorough answer.

> Anssi Hannula a écrit :
>

>> I've been using this kind of configuration on my Linux router for a few
>> years:
>>
>> eth0    80.223.77.223, public internet ip
>> eth0:0    10.0.0.1, private network ip
>

> You know that having both internet and a private LAN on the same
> interface is a *very* bad idea, don't you ? I suppose you have no other
> choice.

Oops, I didn't know :((

Is the bad part on it having both of them on the same physical network,
or only the fact that they are on the same interface?

Then again, this is a wireless network where some hosts have
public+private IPs and some hosts private IPs, so I guess it would be
pretty non-practical to have two interfaces on every system which I want
to have public IP too.

What is the security risk here, exactly?

--
Anssi Hannula