ipset: Kernel configuration error? "Protocol unavailable"

All,

I've got ipset patched in and running on a SUSE 10 box (vanilla 2.6.17
kernel from kernel.org).  I think, however, that I've misconfigured
something somewhere, as I'm getting the following error when I try to
creat a set of either iphash or nethash type:

I type in the example rule from the website http://ipset.netfilter.org/tips.html

ipset -N foo iphash --resize 0

And I get the following error:

ipset v2.2.9: Error from kernel: Protocol not available

Any ideas where I should look for what I've done wrong?  I apologize
if you need more information from me, if so, just let me know and I'll
include it.

Thanks,

David