Re: How can i use Linux as a router

On Thu, July 6, 2006 13:30, Ali Ozaltin wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Can i install POM on Fedora 5 ? When i run ./runme extra command while
> patching im giving some erros and kernel patching erros.. Who can send me
> IPTABLES and PAM installation guide ? and which linux version(Redhat,Debian
> etc.) are you suggest for a router �? �I want use my linux box as a cisco
> router =)

What errors? Did you supply the (correct) kernel-source and iptables-source
path? What did you do exactly?

Anyway, you have to be able to compile your own kernel and this list is not
about compiling a new kernel.
The Fedora kernels are (probably, they used to be anyway) modified kernels so
when you try to patch them with POM, you may get errors in the process.
You had better download a vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org. Also, you should
compile a new iptables to accompany your kernel.
When you compile a vanilla kernel for Fedora you may run into trouble because
of patches that RedHat may have put into their kernel that you are missing.
(This step is optional; you may not have any problem at all.. :=))
Also, try this on a test-box first; not in production.

If you still are prepared to compile a new kernel: go ahead, but personally,
not considering myself a guru, I think you need more experience/reading when
you are talking about "installing POM on Fedora 5" like it's just some package
you install using RPM or something.

Gr,
Rob