Preventing login scripts with recent module

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up iptables to drop packets from people running scripts that make repeated attempts to login using different usernames/passwords. I'm new to iptables so would appreciate some help.

I found the following firewall rules somewhere which are supposed to drop packets from people who connect 4 or more attempts withing 5 minutes (from /etc/sysconfig/iptables):

[0:0] -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH_RECENT --rsource [0:0] -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 300 --hitcount 4 --name SSH_RECENT --rsource -j DROP

For some reason this worked for a day or so (4 attempts within 5 mins and I'm locked out for 5 mins) then inexplicably stopped working. I now find that I'm locked out straight away - even if this is my first attempt to connect for 24 hours. If I remove the above lines from the iptables file and restart I can log in, if I add them back in I'm locked out.

As far as I can tell from the docs the above rules are correct. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks very much,
Steve