DNAT Question & ULOG Question

A couple questions before I try to push out my new firewall.

Creating a  PREROUTING rule on a DROP all policy like so.

$IPT -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $EXTIF -d $HOST_EXTIP -p tcp --dport 22 \
  -j DNAT --to-destination $HOST_INTIP:22

This allows the packets to pass through my external nic so I would only need a forward rule like so to complete the request?

$IPT -A FORWARD  -o $INTIF -d $HOST_INTIP -p tcp --dport 22

From what I read the routing decision happens after PREROUTING but I am not sure if the request has traversed pass my external interface at this time. Not sure if I need to specify both interface or in my case it would be the same if I specified none.

My question related to ULOG.... Is ULOG the only way to get iptables logging out of my dmesg ? Every time I type dmesg I find it overloaded with iptables logging.

Thanks.