RE: iptables - resource temporary unavailable

> On 06/07/2006 05:54 PM, robee wrote:
>> any time when i'm restarting my firewall rules (NAT mostly, about
>> 500 users) i got this error -> iptables - resource temporary
>> unavailable. but, if i unplug users (main switch off) and restart
>> firewall everyting is fine my system is fedora core 4, iptables
>> 1.3.5, kernel 2.6.16.18
>
> I don't think it is lack of memory, the error message for that
> includes the word memory.  Resource temporarily unavailable means
> that something else is currently using the resource.  Is it
> possible that another iptables instance is running at the same time?

(Not that I know the solution, but..) Iptables is a userspace utility to
setup rules. Once the rule is setup, iptables itself terminates and
Netfilter (kernelspace) will use the rule.
Although you could add the same rule multiple times (which is a bit
useless..), AFAICS there's no way to have Netfilter "running" multiple
times.

But you do have a point: is the OP flushing all rules/deleting all
user-chains when he is restarting the firewall script ?

Gr,
Rob