Re: Controlling an iptables-match from userspace

On Sunday 28 May 2006 8:19 pm, Manfred Stock wrote:

> > I'm working on some other changes that should make it more acceptable,
> > althought I've been busy in the last couple of weeks.
>
> Sounds good :) Btw. is there somewhere some more recent
> Netfilter-Hacking-Howto-like documentation besides the kernel sources?
> The Howto was not even for 2.6, and at least 2.6.16 had some larger
> netfilter-related changes...

If there is, I would like it too. Most of the documentation I found dated from
the 2.4.x era and cantained obsolete information. I cross examined other
netfilter code and specific documentation for other parts of the kernel.
:(

> Definitely. Adding a new setsockopt option as mentioned in the Howto
> would be another possibility, but it at least feels a little weird if
> you can create a socket, set a special option on it and as a result
> you have influenced the behaviour of netfilter... Nevertheless it's
> fairly easy to use on the kernel side. Probably netlink/nfnetlink
> would be another (not file based) alternative.

Feasible, but I wouldn't like to implement it this way.
If you find a compelling reason not to go for the current multiple files
approach I can create a single file that receives batches of commands.
The only reason this would be necessary would be in order to have transations
of multiple simultaneous changes, but I think we would be solving the wrong
problem.

> > - a file interface doesn't require a special app.
>
> It also fits nicely into the "everything is a file" paradigm, and it's
> easy to use if you do write a special app to use that functionality.

OK.

> netfilter match. But after a short look at
> Documentation/filesystems/configfs/configfs.txt I would say that
> configfs was intended for this kind of stuff. As for /proc, I don't
> really know what to say, but my feelings are that it should rather not
> be used for new non process related things - they have duplicated some

Many people think that /proc is in a sorry state. The current trend is not to
accept patches that use /proc for anything new that is not process related.
I'm still using /proc in order to maintain backward compatibility, but I was
already considering a transition to /config. Another thing holding me back
was the lack of other modules already using it. There is no accepted naming
convention and I wouldn't like to keep moving my files.

Anyway I'll soon release a new version of condition that uses configfs.

I'll put the directory name to popular vote:
- /config/xt_condition (this seem the preferred one by the configfs
documentation);
- /config/netfilter/xt_condition (this would be more clear if other netfilter
modules ever wanted to use configfs);
- ... (fill in the blanks);

--
Bye,