iptables v1.2.11 error in enabling SNAT of unknown argument --to

I downloaded the iptables v1.2.11 and have got the directory structure
in which I have the iptables binary in the source code .I then copy the
binary iptables to another file system and so ./iptables -L .I get the
output.But when I do SNAT i get the following :-
$./iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 10.0.0.1
iptables v1.2.11: Unknown arg `--to'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Please help me out .The directory also has binaries iptables-save and
iptables-restore .Do I need to copy them too?

I have even tried giving --to-source instead of --to.
Does iptables v1.2.11 doesnt have support for SNAT ?  i did iptables -h and
couldnt find any --to or SNAT mention. have already compiled the
kernel with options to enable inclusion of iptables modules .Also if i
do
./iptables -t nat -L
I get the nat table. This means that the nat module is already loaded i
think.
Please tell me the option intead of --to to enable SNAT.I am a naive
user so please give a solution that would work.