Policy routing with mark not working.

Hey all im trying to mark packets and use the kernel
routing table to get the packets to go where i want.
The problem that i have with this is that even though
the packets are being marked (I checked using
"iptables -t mangle -vnL") it doesnt seem to be going
through the correct route. I;ve followed this guide :

http://edseek.com/archives/2006/05/01/configuring-multipath-routing-for-ports-without-balancing/

but all traffic goes through the default route and not
the marked one.

# ip rule gives:
0: from all lookup local
200: from all fwmark 0x4 lookup 201
32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

# ip route show table 201
default via 192.168.77.2 dev eth3

the iptables command i use to mark is:
# iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m string --algo bm
--string "yahoo.com" -j MARK --set-mark 0x4

i've also flushed the route cache,....any help?

Thanks.