Cant get iptables string match and ROUTE to work.

Hey all, i've been trying to do a combination filter
using string matching and the "-j ROUTE" extras from
netfilter but i cant seem to get them to work. Here's
what i do, i got a source (2.6.16.5) from kernel.org
untared to folder, got a copy of iptables (1.3.1) and
untared that too, got me a copy of patch-o-matic-ng
and untared also. I ran the
p-o-m giving the folders with kernel and iptables
source and apply the patch i want (ROUTE). Next, i
start a xmenuconfig and compile the kernel making sure
the "string" match option and "ROUTE" option are being
installed as modules. Compilation and install goes
fine, i reboot to the new kernel but when i try to use
the string match i keep getting an error saying :
"String match v1.3.5 (I'm 1.3.1)" i figured i have to
upgrade iptables, but when i try a test using the -j
ROUTE --gw it doesnt recognise the command. I did a
search in the kernel compilation folder and there
exists a _ROUTE.o file there. Im not really sure what
to do from here, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.