Re: iptables empty ipset matches on address of 0.0.0.0?

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Andrew Kraslavsky wrote:

> My question is regarding the iptables ipset match (-m set ...).  What I am
> seeing is that an empty ipset set of type iphash (I have not tried this with
> any other ipset type) seems to yield a match on packets with an IP address
> of 0.0.0.0.  The packets of concern here are DHCP client requests, for which
> a source IP of 0.0.0.0 is expected.
>
> With any rule, like the LOG target example below, that uses an empty ipset
> to match against source address, I see a match but, since the ipset set is
> empty, this seems odd.
>
> iptables -A INPUT -m set --set emptyset src -j LOG --log-prefix "What the!?"
>
> Is this how the match is supposed to work?  Even though 0.0.0.0 may be
> equivalent to "any", if the set is empty it seems like a match should _not_
> occur.

Default all sets are zero-filled - thus 0.0.0.0 always matches.
I think it's more a bug than a peculiar feature as it's non-intuitive.
Expect a fixed ipset release in a few days.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx