connbytes patch eliminated

Hello,

First, a warning - I am a newbie to netfilter, so I may ask some stupid questions here. I believe the connbytes patch offers exactly what I am looking for - granted it is listed as experimental, but I am willing to test it out since if offers the functionality I think I need - mainly depriotizing bulk transfers. I am concerned because it appears it was dropped from the main linux kernel, the last kernel I found with it was linux-2.6.15.7. Also, it is not in pom-ng - at least I could not find it in pom snapshots or cvs (http://svn.netfilter.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/patch-o-matic-ng/). So I get the impression there may be plans to get rid of the connbytes patch. The latest iptables still does checks for it though "[ -f $KERNEL_DIR/net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_connbytes.c ] && echo connbytes". Was there a decision that it was not suitable anymore and it is being eliminated in favor of another approach? If so, any advice as to the new approach is greatly appreciated. Also, if it was dropped from the kernel/pom because it was highly unstable and caused system crashes - that would be great information too :-)

Thanks for any help - my apologies if I missed something obvious.
Michael