programicly inserting rules

I need some suggestions for programicly inserting and deleting iptable
rules. I have seen some mentions of using libiptc. Would It be possible
Make libiptc a shared library and use JNI?

Regarding Inserts; If I had the following:
Forward chain
Rule 1 state
Rule 2 forward accept
Rule 3 log
Rule 4 drop

If I made multiple inserts to position 4, would the relative positions
of 1,3,4 remain? Or should I just make rule2 a jump to a different chain
where the inserts would happen?

Thx jason