Fwd: about conntrack application

I have a 2.6.16 kernel with iptables version 1.3.5
I installed also:
               libnfnetlink - 0.0.14
               libnetfilter-conntrack - 0.0.30
               conntrack - 1.00beta1-1

I receive at execution as root the next outputs:
> ctnl_test

Test for libnetfilter_conntrack

libc.so.6: aborted attempt to load ctnl_test!

and also (as root !!):
> conntrack  -L conntrack

Operation failed: sorry, you must be root or get CAP_NET_ADMIN capability to
do this

I don't have any clue were to start from. Is there any document on how to
install and run this application? Which versions go with which iptables and
with which kernel. Do I need special kernel modules for netlink
communication? Is the version of iptables correct? Are there other settings
that could be necessary?

I am in front of a dead-line, so if anyone could give me any hint I will be
very VERY greatful.

Marius