RE: Tracking down the source of proxy problem

>>> firewall iptables (in port number edited):
>>>
>>>   *nat
>>>   :PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
>>>   :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
>>>   :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
>>>   -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport ##INPORT## -j DNAT --to
>>> 192.168.2.10:5432
>>>   -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport ##INPORT## -j DNAT --to
>>> 192.168.2.10:5432
>>>   -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
>>>   COMMIT
>>
>> These are only NAT rules. What about the FORWARD rules ?
>
> Sorry, left them out because I didn't think they were relevant...
> here they are (SOME_PORT means that there are similar lines for
> various ports... but none are 5432 or related to Postgres, since this
> proxy machine does not host the DB):
>
> *filter
>> INPUT DROP [0:0]
>> FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]

So you have policy ACCEPT and no rules in the FORWARD chain. The
Postgres box should be receiving the NAT-ed packets.
- Have you enabled forwarding ?
  (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward)
- Did you check routing on both boxes ?
  (Are packets routed to the Postgres box and are reply packets routed
back to the firewall.)
- Maybe you can add some LOG rules on both boxes to see something in
syslog.
  (Firewall: FORWARD chain, Postgress: INPUT chain)
- Check with tcpdump (et al) on the Postgres box if any packets that you
expect actually arrive.

Gr,
Rob