interruption in natted return http traffic

Help:

I have a strange problem and I am not finding answers using Google. I have setup a gateway on my network using Mandrake 10.1. I am running squid, IP tables, and portsentry. The problem is this: About once a week users on the network cannot get any response from an http request. After many hours of diagnostic what I know is this.
1) http requests are leaving the gateway but not being returned.
2) https requests are leaving the gateway and are being returned. Works as expected
3) SSh traffic works as expected
4) If I reboot the server the problem goesaway.
5) After approximately 8- 9 hours behavior returns to normal with http traffic.

I am not seeing evidence of ip_conntrack table overflows. The traffic is not being blocked in the firewall.

Has anyone experienced this behavior, what is the problem, where can I look.