to SMP or not to SMP?

Hi guys,

I've been using an old single processor / linux 2.4 iptables based
firewall for a few years.

Now it's time to upgrade that machine, so, I am wondering, would it be
of real benefit if I put a two-processor system for a firewall? This
machine is going to have 4 NICs, it's going to make routing (lots of
routes), and firewall (iptables). I don't know if these kind of tasks
take advantage from a multiple-processor architecture. Please enlighten
me :)

Thank you!