Netfilter journey of a locally generated packet?

Hi,

Is there an exact and complete diagram of a packet journey inside
netfilter?

I have found something strange that may require some explanation:

I am running Linux 2.6.11 on a device with two network interfaces.

When I generate locally (local process) a packet (UDP for instance) with
a source address of one interface and a destination address of the
other, the packet go through PREROUTING chain in the mangle table but
not in the nat table.

Is there a reason behind this behaviour?

Thank you.

Pierre-Marie Wecowski
Software Designer
Mediatrix Telecom