Re: condition patch with kernel 2.6.16

> On Monday 24 April 2006 5:40 pm, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>
> > I've been successfully using the condition patch with 2.6-series kernels,
> > up through kernel 2.6.15.  It was simple to make it work:  I just removed
> > the line 'Requires: linux < 2.6.0' from the condition/info file, and then
> > the patch applied and worked just fine.
>
> I did too and it worked, but on closer inspection of the code I saw that it
> worked by chance.

OK, that's good to know.

> > Now I'm trying to do the same with kernel 2.6.16, and the patch fails:
> >
> > # ./runme --kernel-path=/usr/src/linux
> > --iptables-path=/usr/src/netfilter/iptables-1.3.1 --batch condition
>
> 2.6.16 needs some minor changes on a few function declarations, anyway I just
> finished a more extensive rework of the code so that it's really supposed to
> work for 2.6. Stephane (the original author) told me he never had the time to
> update it and was glad to hand it down to some else.

OK, that's very good.  I'll be glad to test it.  I need to upgrade to kernel
2.6.16 to try to solve some other problems, and right now the condition
patch is holding me back.  I could rewrite my firewall without it, but I'd
rather just have a working condition patch.

> > The condition patch seems like a very important and useful one, and simple
> > in principle.  2.6 kernels have been in production use for well over a
> > year. Is "condition" ever going to be definitively ported to 2.6?
>
> There are different views on its usufulness. I agree with you, but other
> people think that influencing packet filtering from /proc is a hack.
> I can see their argument, but think the alternatives are worse.

Well I wasn't aware of that argument.  I think the condition functionality
is sensible and useful.  When a condition value changes, I have a choice of
either (1) cleaning out and rebuilding my whole firewall; (2) finding and
changing the specific affected iptables rules; or (3) changing a value in
/proc/net/ipt_condition.  Of these I find (3) to be the most convenient and
natural.

Thanks, Andrew.