Re: Adaptive stealthing/unstealthing of port 113

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 11:51 +0000, Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

> "Adaptive Stealthing" means that when a TCP SYN packet arrives to
> request a connection to your machine's port 113, ZoneAlarm checks, on
> the fly, to see whether your machine currently has any sort of
> "relationship" with the remote machine

<snip>

> I wanna do it on my ADSL firewall!

IMHO IDENT is pretty much a dead protocol. Kind of dumb to trust the
connecting system to give you an honest answer about the owner of an
application.

I rarely see TCP/113 anymore but in the rare cases where I do, rejecting
with a TCP reset keeps the original connection from getting stalled.

I know this does not really answer your question, just trying to ssave
you some work in an effort that's not really needed.

HTH,
Chris