[solved] problem with recent match

This issue seems known and solved. Following is a clear explanation
I received elsewhere, included here with permission for
completeness:

  Sounds like you are experiencing the timer overflow bug in
  ipt_recent. On 32bit machines with HZ at 1000 (the default in 2.6),
  you'll hit the bug after ~25 days of uptime. This could explain why
  you're only seeing this on some of your machines.

  There are a couple of workarounds available [1] [2], but the
  consensus from the Netfilter maintainers is that a full rewrite is
  needed.

  [1] http://blog.blackdown.de/2005/05/09/fixing-the-ipt_recent-netfilter-module/
  [2] http://www.kd.cz/~martin/kernel-recent/

Apparently, patches exist and I have been told they have been
rejected by the maintainer as ipt_recent "needs a complete rewrite".
Could someone clue me in on the outlook? Is a rewrite already in
progress? Are there plans to remove the buggy module from the stable
kernel tree?

Cheers,

invalid/expired pgp (sub)keys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

micro$oft windows psychic edition:
we will tell you where you are going tomorrow.