Re: out of state packits

On 3/3/06, Ezsra McDonald <ezsra.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/3/06, Rob Sterenborg <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, March 3, 2006 15:39, Ezsra McDonald wrote:
> > > Greetings Gurus,
> > >
> > > I have noticed in the past few weeks that my logs
> > > from several hosts show what appear to be rejections on high ports. I
> > > have seen this before on a checkpoint firewall where the issue was out
> > > of state packits. What would cause this on a network? I don't know
> > > where to start looking for the problem.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Here is an example of one of my logwatch report:
> > >

> > > Denied 4690 packets on interface eth0
> > >    From 4.79.181.14 - 3 packets
> > >       To 172.25.14.167 - 3 packets
> > >          Service: 4980 (tcp/4980) (RULE 7 -- DENY,eth0,none) - 3 packets
> > >    From 4.79.181.135 - 8 packets
> > >       To 172.25.14.167 - 8 packets
> > >          Service: 56322 (tcp/56322) (RULE 7 -- DENY,eth0,none) - 6 packets
> > >          Service: 65382 (tcp/65382) (RULE 7 -- DENY,eth0,none) - 2 packets
> > <snip a long log>
> >
> > Where do you determine these would be out of state ?
> > To me, it just says that (x) packets from (y) to (z) have been denied,
> > probably using "rule 7" which denies something but it doesn't say what.
> >
> > I think, looking at this log, no one can tell without knowing what rules you
> > have in place, but maybe I'm overlooking something.
> >

>From what I can tell in the attached log is that you are dropping a
lot of supposed DNS packets. This can be because of a couple of
things:

DNS server is sending late UDP tcp packets and NF closed the state already
Attacker is trying to use a "SPT=53" is probably allowed to probe a
network or communicate with slavebots.
Network tom-foolery where a UDP packet gets duplicated etc and you are
seeing 2 packets.

If all the packets in your logwatch look like that (DNS sourceport)
and your box isnt running a DNS cacheing server or similar.. I would
go with #2. If you are running named, djbdns, etc I would look to see
why you are getting late packets./

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator