Re: filtering HTTP signatures/headers ? (nfcan: addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

On 2006.03.01 23:04, S t i n g r a y - fasi_74@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
The problem is that , i have a proxy/firewall box that
provides internet to my internal users, now i have
only permitted the common ports like
ftp,http,smtp,pop3 etc etc & blocked all other , now
there are couple of p2p applications out there that
tunnel through my port 80 as its open, this is taking
up my internet bandwith, i want to stop that ...

Well, then what Rob said before applies.
Netfilter is not good for solving this problem.
Squid is reputed to be very good for this problem.

Regards,

Jim

  regards

--- Rob Sterenborg <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, March 1, 2006 16:40, S t i n g r a y wrote:
> > will it filter out HTTP tunneling also ?
>
> Do you mean you have a VPN tunnel which transfers
> http, or what ? If that is
> the case, I don't think so ; Squid can only inspect
> traffic that it can see of
> course. However, if the Squid-box is at the end of
> the tunnel you may be able
> to do it.
> But maybe I don't understand correctly what problem
> you are trying to solve.
>

> Gr,
> Rob
>
> > --- Rob Sterenborg <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> signatures/headers
> >>
> >> You may be able to use the String match but you
> can
> >> only filter the payload of 1 packet at a time :
> if a
> >> signature/header spans multiple packets then it
> >> won't work.
> >>
> >> Netfilter is not meant to do content filtering.
> >> Perhaps you can use Squid.
> >>

> >> Gr,
> >> Rob