Tuning NAT timeout values

Hello all,

I have run into a wall on this one. I have need to change the default settings on NAT entries through a Linux 2.4.32/iptables 1.2.11 based firewall. Multiple searches have lead me to believe that tuning NAT masquerade timeouts through iptables is not possible as it apparently was through ipchains/ipfwadm.

This document (and other similar linux NAT/MASQ howtos):

http://howtos.linux.com/guides/nag2/x-087-2-masq.configuration.shtml

State: "The iptables implementation uses much longer default timers and does not allow you to set them." Or something meaning the same thing.

An old discussion about this:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/bdferris/afs_conntrack_nat/index.html

leads me to believe that perhaps if this is possible, it will be through tuning the various core conntrack tcp/udp settings for the timeouts (e.g. ip_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait
ip_conntrack_udp_timeout
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_time_wait
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_sent
ip_conntrack_icmp_timeout
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_recv
ip_conntrack_generic_timeout
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_last_ack
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_fin_wait
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established)

Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

SJ