Re: updated iptables doesn't work with old rules

On 2/22/06, Chinh Nguyen <cnguyen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel Nogradi wrote:
> > Anyway, what I have tried is:
> >
> > # make sure we start from zero
> >
> > iptables --flush
> > iptables -t nat --flush
> > iptables --delete-chain
> > iptables -t nat --delete-chain
> >
> > # set up masquerading from LAN to modem which is hook up on eth0
> >
> > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> >
> > # allow forwarding from LAN which is hookup up on eth1
> >
> > iptables -A FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT
>
> I think that when you have a rule like this, you need the converse. ie,
> iptables -A FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT

> If you want restrictions such that connections are initiated from B only,
> you
> could restrict the inbound forward.
>
> iptables -A FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED
> -j
> ACCEPT

Hi Chinh, I tried interchanging eth0 and eth1 and still no luck. I
didn't want to restrict the source yet, because I first would like to
see that it works at all, and then start tightening security.
/var/log/messages also says nothing. Is there any other log file which
would be useful to check?