Re: Automagic proxy arp?

On Wed, February 22, 2006 16:24, Chinh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a machine M that is 'walled' off from the rest of the local subnet
> similar to this.
>
>         .1        .2        .3       .4-.254
> +-------+         +---------+
> +   M   + ------ eth1  FW  eth0 ---- local subnet
> +-------+         +---------+
>
> With ip_forward on and using standard forward rules on FW (e.g., -A FORWARD
> --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT, -A FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -m state
> --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT), M can reach the local subnet.
>
> However, I need to add a routing entry in M to send all local traffic to FW.
> Otherwise, M will attempt to arp the destination as they are all on same
> subnet.
> The linux arp man page claims that linux will "automagic proxy arp when a
> route exists and it is forwarding".

The "linux arp man page"... Not the iptables man page.

> Does anyone know how to set up iptables on FW to enable this "automagic"?

Aren't you confusing things ? arp != iptables.
>From man arp(8) :

NOTE: As of kernel 2.2.0 it is no longer possible to set an ARP entry for an
entire subnet. Linux instead does automagic proxy arp when a route exists and
it is forwarding. See arp(7) for details.

> I've also tried using explicit forward rules such as "--in eth1 -d !.1 -j
> ACCEPT", "--in eth1 -d .4 -j ACCEPT, --in eth1 -d .5 -j ACCEPT, etc." to no
> effect.

Why is it such a problem to set the default gateway of "M" to the firewall ?
You say it works when you add a routing rule for for the firewall, but if the
firewall is the only machine that "M" can reach, you might as well use it as
default gateway.

Gr,
Rob