Re: lost UDP packets with matching NAT rules

Hello,

thanks for your reply! See my comments below.

KOVACS Krisztian <hidden@xxxxxxxxxx> írta:

>   Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:34, Keserű Kornél wrote:
> > I'm using iptables (v1.3.4 on a 2.6.15.3 kernel) in order to NAT
> > incoming UDP packets arriving on a single IP:port (1-1 rules in PRE-
> > and POSTROUTING chains in the nat table). I found out that
packets are

>   Why do you need two rules here? Redirecting incoming UDP packets
to a
> single IP:port has nothing to do with POSTROUTING, it's a single rule
on
> PREROUTING.

I also have to modify the source of the packets not only the destination
(I want to realize NAT). Maybe my sentence (about redirection) was
misleading.

> > How could I find out, why are the packets lost? Is there a log entry
> > somewhere that says if an UDP packet was dropped because of... ?
>
>   Try monitoring /proc/net/stat/ip_conntrack. I guess the number you
find
> in the insert_failed column will match the number of dropped packets.

Thanks for the hint! I checked it. Strange, that not the "insert_failed"
but the number in the "dropped" column is incremented with 99. 1
packet (the first one) was forwarded successfully. Note, that with my
test program I send packets from 100 different sources within a very
short time (some milliseconds) to the same IP:port (where iptables is
setup). Do I overload something with that?

Thanks,
Kornel Keseru

Pénzügyi szolgáltatás és hiteligénylés interneten keresztül a nap 24 órájában az [origo]-n.
http://www.klikkbank.hu