RE: ipt -P INPUT ACCEPT problem

> I have a personal laptop running Debian sitting behind a linksys
> future-shop-bought router that nicely provides me with DHCP services
> at boot. My only concern at the moment is having iptables as a basic
> firewall that can block/accept all incoming and outgoing packets from
> my untrustworthy router.
>
> Starting out to experiment, I wanted to block all incoming packets:
>
> iptables -P INPUT DROP
>
> Then, I wanted to undo my changes:
>
> iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
>
> Why is it that now I can't access the internet? I can access my router

We don't know. Show us the output of "iptables -nvL".

> at 192.168.1.1 and my other system at 192.168.1.100 but everythign
> else is just shut down. Checking my router setup turns out that it
> assigned only one DHCP client, and my system is gone from its list.

What does "ifconfig" say ? Maybe you have to renew your DHCP lease.
Perhaps the router doesn't accept your IP if it's not in it's list.

> Is there something about the internal workings of iptables I should
> know, or is this meant for the Debian, or general Linux help mailing
> list?? I attempted restarting my networking scripts but it failed on
> DHCP init.

Unless you received an error when executing the commands above, there
should be no problem. Maybe it's something with the router ; there's not
too much troubleshooting information.

Gr,
Rob