ipt -P INPUT ACCEPT problem

Hello,

This is my first time posting here and I have a problem with some basics.

I have a personal laptop running Debian sitting behind a linksys
future-shop-bought router that nicely provides me with DHCP services
at boot. My only concern at the moment is having iptables as a basic
firewall that can block/accept all incoming and outgoing packets from
my untrustworthy router.

Starting out to experiment, I wanted to block all incoming packets:

iptables -P INPUT DROP

Then, I wanted to undo my changes:

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

Why is it that now I can't access the internet? I can access my router
at 192.168.1.1 and my other system at 192.168.1.100 but everythign
else is just shut down. Checking my router setup turns out that it
assigned only one DHCP client, and my system is gone from its list.

Is there something about the internal workings of iptables I should
know, or is this meant for the Debian, or general Linux help mailing
list?? I attempted restarting my networking scripts but it failed on
DHCP init.

Bart