RE: a problem with nat table setting

> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with the nat table configuration.  I am using
> 2.6.8.1 kernel in a router and also added a http filter proxy which
> uses port 8080.
>
> Internet ------------ ROUTER(http filter proxy) ---------linux PC.
>                                       lan ip: 192.168.1.1
> 192.168.1.2
>
> I have found that if there is a established connection exist between
> linux PC and the webserver before I start the proxy, and added the
> iptables nat rules, which can be  checked use netstat, the outgoing
> http packet will not be passed to the proxy, and it seems go out
> directly.

I would say that's why the connection is *established*. Once it's
established, it will not be doing anything else untill the connection is
closed.

> If I leave it untouched (no http activity), and after some
> time later, that connection is gone,  the outgoing http packet will
> be passed to the proxy again.
>
> Any one know how to solve this problem?

Kicking an open door :
- start the proxy before your iptables rules.
- Unless I'm missing something, you are using a proxy for internet
access. In that case you probably don't want to allow http(s)
forwarding, so ; do not use such rules or restrict them to hosts that
should not use the proxy.

Gr,
Rob