Re: ARP & IPTables!!

On Monday 2006-January-30 23:47, ramsurrunv@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I wanted to know if there is a way of relaying (forwarding) ARP
> requests and replies using iptables. What rule can I use?

ARP is layer 2, iptables is layer 3, so no, I doubt it is possible.
You're needing a bridge interface. That *is* possible, actually very
easy to do.

The high-level overview: flush all IP addresses on the interfaces you
want to bridge, assign them 0.0.0.0/0. Use brctl(8) to create a bridge
interface and to add each physical interface to it. Assign your IP
address to the bridge interface.

ebtables(8) can control layer 2 bridge traffic if you want to limit or
filter it. With CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER=y you can control bridged
traffic at layer 3 in your filter / FORWARD chain.