RE: ICMP types to allow

I think all AD requires is echo request (which is how it "determines"
whether domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, etc. are up). Block
ICMP echo request at your firewall/gateway and netdiag will be very
unhappy. I don't believe they "require" any other types but you never
know with Microsoft.

A google for "active directory 2003 icmp required" (no quotes) provides
the official story (the first two hits are hugely long TechNet articles
so search for ICMP within them), which is basically that ICMP echo
request is used by several services to determine whether hosts are up
and for tracert to work, and that Path MTU makes everybody happy.

Hope that helps,

Derick