RE: ICMP types to allow

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 13:36 -0500, Derick Anderson wrote:
> After reading the ICMP state machine section of the Netfilter tutorial
> [http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#ICMPCONNE
> CTIONS] it appears that ICMP traffic related to existing TCP and UDP
> connections falls under the RELATED,ESTABLISHED rules.
>
> So someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that any valid ICMP
> error message would get picked up by a '-A FORWARD -m state --state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT' at the start of the chain, and so (as
> lst_hoe01 stated) allowing type 8 is all you really need to do, correct?
> (and a little reading goes a long way... =)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Derick Anderson

Somewhere I recall Microsoft documentation asking that all ICMP traffic
be allowed for Active Directory.  I never bothered to find out what
exactly was needed and why.  Does anyone know if a properly functioning
Active Directory needs anything other than echo? - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net