frequent network hangs on kernel 2.4.32 & netfilter 1.2.8

Hi,

I just made the step from RH kernel 2.4.18 & RH nf 1.2.5 to kernel.org's
2.4.32 and netfilter 1.2.8 (the one from fedoralegacy.org).
Now I see strange problems where the network connections on all interfaces
suddenly become very sluggish, slow and sometimes simply stuck.  If I stop
iptables and restart iptables it works again.  Sometimes it takes some
seconds.  I have no idea where this comes from.  Is it the kernel?  Is it
the iptables?  How do I find out?  Is there something known about this
kernel / iptables version?  Has anybody seen something similar?  How can I
debug?  Any help/tips?

Thanks a lot!
-lutzn